Profiting from Layers, Broilers, Turkeys, and Ducks
Many new farmers get started with poultry, because it’s a relatively low-investment enterprise with a fairly quick turnaround time from start-up to revenue. The margins can be slim though, and farmers need to develop the necessary skill set to produce a product that is both safe and profitable. This course will help you get started with all the basic information to build a successful poultry enterprise.
At the completion of this course, you will:
- Know the basics of poultry production from field to plate
- Have knowledge of breed selection, production systems, flock management practices, and cost of production
- Identify rules and regulation for sale of poultry products to various market outlets
The bulk of the course happens on your own time, with discussions, readings, and assignments in Teachable, our virtual classroom. To add to the experience, webinars will be woven into the online interface of the course to allow you to meet on a weekly basis to learn from outside presenters and address your farm questions in real time. If you miss one, they are always recorded and posted for later viewing.
- Michelle Proscia has been the agriculture educator for Cornell Cooperative Extension in Sullivan County, NY since 2013. She received her bachelor’s degree in large animal science from Delaware Valley College. Michelle is also the market manager of the Rock Hill Farmers Market and has assisted in managing a small farm that raised poultry, sheep and pigs.
- Rachel Moody grew up on a family dairy farm and participated in 4-H showing cattle, goats and chickens. She completed a Bachelor of Technology in dairy science at SUNY Cobleskill, then went on to receive a Masters in Agricultural Education and Extension from Virginia Tech. She spent a total of ten years teaching agriculture in both Virginia and Massachusetts before moving back to NY. She works with Orange County Cooperative Extension delivering educational workshops and offering training and technical assistance to beginner and seasoned livestock producers.
- Beginner – The course is for aspiring and beginning farmers (individuals with limited or no experience with poultry rearing) seeking to learn about poultry production and the marketing, processing, and sales of poultry and poultry products in New York State.
- (NOTE: You do not have to be farming in NYS to benefit from the production-oriented information in this course. Only the regulatory information covered is NY-specific).