The father of modern biological farming Gary Zimmer shares the secrets to his highly profitable farming operation at Otter Creek Organic Farm in Wisconsin. Learn how to build your own biological farming system designed to decrease your dependence on costly inputs. Students will watch videos about soil management techniques, read recommendations about fertilizers, download worksheets on soil testing, build strategies for cover crops, and develop natural systems for weed and pest control and much more. After finishing this class, you will be able to identify clear next steps and immediately build your short- and long-term operational strategy.
Gary Zimmer's students around the world walk away from his online classes and multi-day classes learning the following:
- key biological farming terms and the concept of a biological growing system;
- how soil health fits into the biological farming system;
- how to measure soil health;
- how the principles of biological farming factor into the entire system;
- why some farmers till, and why no-till might work against your biological farming systems;
- why biodiversity is important to managing weeds, and specific methods to controlling weeds without toxins;
- how to understand the difference between negative and beneficial insects in their fields, and be able to make the basic connection between soil health and pest and disease pressure; and
- how to build a biological farming system customized for your land, operation and goals.