Currently farming or looking to start FARMING? Set the stage for a profitable sustainable farm business with this farmer training program!
FARRMS offers an eight-session training course that helps beginning farmers clarify their goals and strengths, establish a strong enterprise plan and start building their operation. The course uses a mix of farmer-led classroom sessions, on-farm tours, and an extensive farmer network.
- Establish quality of life goals and clarify their values.
- Learn about whole farm planning, marketing and financing.
- Write a farm business proposal.
- Learn from some of the most innovative and skilled farmers operating in the Midwest.
- Learn alongside a classroom of your peers.
- Access an extensive network of farmers through a network of farmers.
- See sustainable farming practices in action on local farms.
FARRMS, Foundation for Agricultural and Rural Resource Management and Sustainability was founded in 2000 to address specific educational needs of organic producers and processors and to promote sustainable rural development in the Medina community and beyond.
The original concept behind the development of FARRMS came from International Certification Services, Inc. (ICS) and its organic certification program, Farm Verified Organic. ICS saw the need for a separate organization to provide education to about organic agriculture and other sustainable concepts.
FARRMS first major accomplishment was the construction of a new office building in Medina, North Dakota, in 2003.
Since then ICS has grown, along with FARRMS. FARRMS has now moved to the Tuttle School in Tuttle ND. This building will serve as an educational center for local foods in North Dakota.
With growing consumer awareness of and demand for organic and sustainable products, there are many opportunities for producers and entrepreneurs in North Dakota. FARRMS employs a multifaceted approach to developing sustainability on farms and in communities.
- The total cost of the 8-week training sessions is $850 per farm. Included in that price is a $50 registration fee per person. With 48 hours of classroom time, the cost per classroom hour is a mere $18.
- The total cost of the class is due the first day of class.
- Payment plans are also available for participants interested in that resource.
- Full and partial scholarships are available and will be awarded on a basis of need. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about scholarships.
Farm Beginnings is for new and prospective farmers who want to plan a sustainable and successful farm business. Students do not need to currently own land, but some farming or production experience is helpful to get the most out of the class.