In the context of Singapore’s 30 by 30 ambition to produce more food locally, much more resources such as energy, water and nutrients will be needed. In the same vein, in the Netherlands, the aim is to have a carbon neutral agricultural system by 2050, with a reduction and maximally efficient use of raw materials. Both countries will have to innovate and use new technologies to minimise the use of resources and nutrients.
Nutrient recycling and resource recovery are therefore key aspects of a sustainable, future proof food system. An integrated approach is needed to connect innovative technology providers, users and producers of recycled nutrients. Join us as we bring together speakers from Singapore and the Netherlands to talk about the nutrient recycling process and a circular agricultural system.
4:00pm – 4:05pm: Opening Remarks
4:05pm – 4:45 pm: Panel Discussion:
- Renske Verhulst, Executive Director, Nutrient Platform
- Arjen van Nieuwenhuijzen, CTO of Renewable Energy, Water and Resources, Witteveen+Bos
- Shiva Susarla, Founder and Director, RENERGii Ventures
4:45pm – 5:00pm: Q&A
- Renske Verhulst, Executive Director, Nutrient Platform – Verhulst is the Executive Director of Nutrient Platform and International Project Officer International at Netherlands Water Partnership. She graduated from the combined master’s programme of Industrial Ecology at Leiden University and the TU Delft with a thesis on recovery of nutrients in the water cycle. At the Netherlands Water Partnership, she connects Dutch and international experts in the water sector, with a focus on water for AgriFood. The Nutrient Platform is a cross-sectoral network of Dutch organisations that believe in a pragmatic approach towards nutrient scarcity. The members, who are are frontrunners from the water, agriculture, waste and chemical sector and industries, several knowledge institutes and two ministries, have joined forces to close nutrient cycles and create a market for recycled nutrients.
- Arjen van Nieuwenhuijzen, CTO of Renewable Energy, Water and Resources, Witteveen+Bos – Dr.ir. Arjen van Nieuwenhuijzen is the CTO of Renewable Energy, Water and Resources at Witteveen+Bos, Principal Investigator of Circular Urban Resources at Amsterdam Institute for Advanced Metropolitan Solutions (AMS Institute), Coordinator of ReCirc Singapore consortium and Project Director at Jurong Island Circularity Scan. He is also a part-time Associate Professor at Wageningen University & Research and has more than 24 years of experience in resource recovery, water reuse, sludge, renewable energy projects all over the world; with a focus area in Europe and South East Asia. He is the initiator and patent holder of the Water and Resource Refinery concept.
- Shiva Susarla, Founder and Director, RENERGii Ventures – Shiva Susarla is the Founder-Director of RENERGii Ventures, a Singaporean venture studio building next generation startups focused on Food, Feed and AgriTech in Asian cities. RENERGii applies a lean innovation process combined with circular economy principles to make food systems more resilient, ecologically sustainable and accessible. RENERGii’s portfolio includes startups ranging from Urban Tiller, which is a farm to table platform for fresh produce to FeedWerkz and Insectifii, which are engaged in valorising low-quality food waste streams into high quality alternative proteins for the feed industry.