Learn ranch and farm infrastructure planning principles and practices to move your vision of your property into reality. Come away with a plan that suits your lifestyle and accommodates changes and challenges. This comprehensive approach will help you explore key infrastructure options, the timing, and sequence of your infrastructure build-out, and result in a step by step plan to achieve your property vision.
Participants will evaluate management and infrastructure considerations and alternatives with the guidance and support of HMI Professional Certified Educator Larry Dyer.
A core element of land planning involves working backwards from your land vision to identify the path there from what you have now. How you travel that journey will depend on your unique situation of current infrastructure, future management, time and capital resources, anticipated livestock choices, water requirements, and the un-expected (risk).
Using your personal preferences and considerations, you will be guided through infrastructure design options and explore how the long-term vision can be built out systematically from “return on investment” and end goal considerations. Whether you own 10 acres or 10,000 acres this class will provide helpful tools and techniques for land planning and infrastructure development.
With Special Guest Speaker Q&A Sessions on Water, Fencing, Permaculture and Urban Ag Land Planning to be Announced!
- Map the landscape vision for your property
- Consider how you will holistically address key natural resource issues, production considerations, animal handling and wildlife, and labor and neighbor issues
- Design for resilience and flexibility
- Increase creativity in the design process
- Consider cost and risk
- Integrate permaculture design principles
- Land plan implementation sequence
- Plan monitoring to ensure that the desired results are being achieved
- Evaluate options to finance your land plan
- Integrating farm/ranch vision and land plan with other farm investment plans
- Prepare maps and overlays
- Develop a future landscape description based on your whole farm/ranch goal
- Apply key holistic design principles
- Develop a land planning map that integrates current and future planned needs and how to navigate from the current layout to thedesired future layout
- Project manage your land plan
- Decide which investment will return you the most in terms of your most limited resource at that time – money, labor or production