Market Gardening Design and Management Course Jean-Martin Fortier Method / Mas Alavall - Polyculture Farm & Breeding in the Process of Conception
The Jardins de la Grelinette and Permaterra are pleased to organize technical training, combining theoretical contributions in the classroom and practices in the fields.
Maude-Hélène Desroches and Jean-Martin Fortier developed the Jardins de la Grelinette, a diversified market gardening micro-farm located in Saint-Armand south of Montreal (Quebec, Canada).
In operation for more than 15 years, the micro-farm operates according to the principles of biointensive agriculture, concentrating production on a small area on a human scale (1 hectare) which takes advantage of the life of the soil to generate increased yields. The cultivation techniques and commercial viability of the model are authoritative and are recognized around the world.
At the end of this technical, practical and innovative training, the trainee will have acquired the capacity:
- to organize in space and build permanent cultivation boards (with simple tools and small motorized machines using few fossil energy),
- to increase the natural fertility of the soil while limiting inputs,
- to sow directly on a bed using efficient manual precision tools, to sow indirectly in the nursery with suitable tools,
- to limit use water without losing productivity,
- manage weed control without chemicals,
- plan a growing calendar,
- manage pests and diseases in an ecological way.
During the training Maude-Hélène and Jean-Martin will present and teach you how to use many tools specific to their method. This specific, alternative and adapted tool responds to a conscious agriculture which respects the biological life of the soil, that is to say minimal work and intervention.