An online introduction to the theory and practice of soil identification for foresters with one of the UK’s leading experts, Andy Moffat.
We are delighted to announce a repeat of our two hugely popular forest soils online training modules. The sessions will be limited to 30 delegates, to ensure that participants have plenty of opportunity to interact and ask questions.
The first module will take place on Thursday 05 November at 11:00am and will cover the following:
- 15 minutes on Introduction to soils and their importance in forestry
- 10 minutes Q & A
- 20 minutes on Basics of soil characterisation and classification
- 15 minutes Q & A
- Up to 30 minutes additional discussion as needed
About the Tutor:
Andy Moffat is both a Fellow of the British Society of Soil Science and a Member of the Institute of Chartered Foresters, and holds a degree in Geography and Soil Science. He started his career as a Soil Surveyor for the Soil Survey of England and Wales before taking up a position as Soil Scientist at the Forestry Commission Alice Holt Research Station. He was the author of the first Forestry Commission Soil Guidelines, and has written many other books, papers and articles about forest soils. He recently helped to assess FC publications for their suitability to underpin the most recent UKFS Soil Guidelines. Andy has run a successful course on ‘Soils for Arboriculturists’ for the Arboricultural Association since 2016.
- Ticket prices for both modules – £12.00 for RFS members / £15.00 for non-RFS members.
- Andy will refer to a Forestry Commission publication called “The identification of soils for forest management”. If you would like to, you can purchase it for £17.00 on the Forestry Commission’s website here: https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/research/the-identification-of-soils-for-forest-management/