The 2020 summit will feature two educational tracks – Silvopasture and Agronomics – plus keynote speakers: Jon Stika, author of “A Soil Owner’s Manual: How to Restore and Maintain Soil Health” John Mesko, Senior Director, Soil Health Partnership
1. Agronomic Track
- Farmer Panel: “Moving Forward with Soil regeneration – Our Experiences and Challenges” by Kristin Brennan, Moderator, NRCS Assistant State Soil Scientist, St. Paul MN; Mikayla Tabert, Tabert Farms, Red Lake Falls MN; Jon Stevens, Maple Grove Farms, Rush City MN; Ben Dwire, Farmer, Arco MN
- “Economics of Soil Health” by Jennifer Hahn, Coalition Coordinator, Minnesota Soil Health Coalition; Brian Pfarr, Minnesota Soil Health Coalition, Farmer, Redwood County MN
- Panel, “Vegetable Proteins – Friend or Foe for Soil Health?” by Watne Monsen, Moderator, SFA Special Projects Coordinator; Grant Breitkreutz, President-Elect, Minnesota State Cattlemen's Association; Dawn Breitkreutz, Stoney Creek Farm, Redwood Falls MN, and Soil Health Academy; Jordan Atchison, President of PURIS
- Overview of Silvopasture Principles by Diomy Zamora, Ph.D., Extension Agroforestry Educator
- Overcoming Farmer and Landowner Resistance to Silvopasture by Keefe Keeley, Co-Executive Director, Savanna Institute
- Panel, “Restoring Savanna with Livestock” by Allysse Sorensen, Chief Executive Herder at The Munch Bunch; Doug Voss, SFA Soil Health Associates, Voss Farms, Paynesville MN; Cody Nelson, Soil RX Inc, Belview MN; Tom Barthel, Snake River Farm, Becker MN
- Jamie Labat, Farmer, Lyon County MN
- Jerry Ackermann, Farmer and Researcher, Lakefield MN
- Ben Dwire, Farmer, Lincoln and Lyon Counties MN
Scholarships are available to attend the Midwest Soil Health Summit and its Silvopasture track for ag professionals, agency employees, crop consultants and/or potential silvopasture mentors.
- The cost is $50 for SFA members and $75 nonmembers.
- Past Midwest Soil Health Summits have sold out; preregistration guarantees your spot at the Summit.
- Walk-up registration will be available if space permits.