Apricot Lane Farms is a farm integrated within a reawakened ecosystem. Our focus is seeing and utilizing the interconnectedness of nature to help build soil health, maximize biodiversity, and regeneratively grow the most nutrient-dense food possible. The farm was founded in 2011 by John and Molly Chester, and today spans 214 acres of countryside in Moorpark, California, just 40 miles north of Los Angeles.
We regeneratively grow more than 200 varieties of fruits and vegetables, and raise sheep, cows, pigs, chickens and ducks with care and respect, while working in harmony (or a comfortable level of disharmony) within our dynamic ecosystem. The farm is certified organic, biodynamic and regenerative organic (ROC).
About the Job
The Garden Assistant, under the direction of the Garden Manager, is responsible for any and all needs of the Apricot Lane Farms Garden while striving to maintain the principles of Biodynamic and Organic Farming.
- Assist with greenhouse management, weed management, soil preparation, pest management & disease monitoring, compost tea application and irrigation.
- Plant and care for several different varieties of vegetables and berries.
- Digging and mulching of beds
- Hand-weeding, hoeing, staking and deadheading
- Assist with all aspects of garden harvesting..
- Assist with preparation for sales of produce.
- Assists with detailed record-keeping of garden processes for future reference, as well as for the Demeter and Organic Certification process. Record keeping will include, but not be limited to, fertilizer application, crop rotation, seed purchases and more.
- Assist with establishing a yearly rotation schedule.
- Accomplishes department and organization mission by completing related tasks as needed.
- Expected to use care and consideration with the Apricot Lane Farms equipment, vehicles, and tools, including performing routine sharpening and maintenance, returning all items to their proper homes and keeping a tidy workspace, greenhouse, shed and garden area.
- Support the farm’s needs outside of all core responsibilities, including, but not limited to, the moving and organizing of equipment, tools, and other related items, as well as addressing reasonable requests by Farm Management.
- Maintain a strong work ethic and attention to detail.
- Maintain a positive attitude and communicate any issues to direct supervisors and Farm Management according to Apricot Lane Farms protocol for discussion and resolution.
- Ability to work as a team member maintaining positive work relations of staff
- Ability to interact with all levels of guests, management and staff
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently with minimal oversight
- Highly organized and with sharp attention to detail.
- Must be willing and able to walk up hilly and steep terrain on a daily basis
- Must be able to bend, stoop and kneel for long periods of time
- Be able/willing to work outside in a variety of extreme weather conditions – rain, cold, heat and wind.
- Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 50 pounds with and/or without assistance
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements:
- High School Diploma
- Two years experience of vegetable farming experience on a 2+ acre farm
Phone: (805) 523-4444