The mission of the Organic Farming Research Foundation (OFRF) is to foster the improvement and widespread adoption of organic farming systems. OFRF envisions a future where organic farming is the leading form of agriculture. Since our founding in 1990, OFRF has sponsored organic farming research, education, and outreach to support organic and transitioning farmers across North America. This work is complemented by efforts to share our findings with policymakers, agricultural institutions, and federal agencies to support broader change and advance the organic sector.
About the Position
OFRF is seeking a Senior Policy Associate to develop and coordinate legislative, regulatory, and administrative reform campaigns that support the needs of organic farmers. This is a full-time, exempt position, eligible for benefits. This is a remote position based in Washington, DC.
This high-profile position offers a great opportunity for the right candidate to interact with congressional and federal agency staff and political officials, and to help shape the future of food and agriculture throughout the U.S. The Senior Policy Associate reports to the Executive Director.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Analyze USDA and other federal programs and develop recommendations for ways in which they can better support the improvement and widespread adoption of organic farming systems.
- Develop written positions/recommendations on key policy issues including helping to draft congressional testimony, Federal Register comments, and other direct advocacy appeals and petitions.
- Monitor federal policy (legislative and regulatory) as it pertains to organic farming.
- Champion federal support to meet the research, education, and technical needs of organic farmers as identified in OFRF’s National Organic Research Agenda.
- Advance organic as a key component to climate mitigation and adaptation in federal policy.
- Develop strong professional relationships with relevant Hill, USDA, and agenda staff.
- Cultivate diverse partnerships to advance policy goals.
- Represent OFRF at meetings with policymakers, including the House Organic Caucus and USDA Organic Working Group, partners, and grower groups.
- Write monthly blogs or articles about policy issues.
- Manage grassroots organizing efforts such as action alerts, as needed.
- Contribute to OFRF’s presence on social media through frequent sharing of relevant news and original posts on OFRF’s policy work.
- Coordinate organic farmer engagement on policy issues.
- Collaborate with colleagues in project, program, and strategic planning.
- Keep Executive Director and staff apprised of current issues.
- Support fundraising for policy program activities, including grant writing and corporate and large donor engagement.
- Staff the Policy and Program Committee of the OFRF Board of Directors.
Other duties, as assigned.
The ideal candidate will be a versatile professional possessing a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in federal food or agriculture policy.
Skills and Qualities
- Knowledge about organic agriculture, food systems, and climate change.
- Deep understanding of federal legislative and regulatory processes.
- Strong personal and professional Commitment to racial equity.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to travel to meetings, conferences, and other OFRF events.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, show initiative, achieve goals, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to build collegial relationships with researchers, policymakers, farmers, donors, and other partners.
- Proficiency with Macs and PCs and common software applications such as Office Suite.
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Strong commitment to the mission, values, and goals of the Organic Farming Research Foundation.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting salary range $61-70K, depending on qualifications and experience. OFRF offers a competitive benefits package and a great work environment with lots of flexibility. We look for co-workers who can have fun while working as hard as we do for a cause we love.Apply via Regen Farming News →